Undhiyu | Surti Undhiyu | Green Undhiyu
Undhiyu is a traditional winters favorite dish of almost all Gujarati Families, While the basics remain the same, each and every house will have their version of 'Undhiyu' made in accordance to the taste / vegetables / spice preference of all family members. During the winters of December / January especially during Uttrayan or Makar Sankarati there are family gatherings when we make Undhiyu in bulk and we thoroughly enjoy the time when not only we sit together and eat but also the time when most of the ladies of the house gather along and cook Undhiyu. I will present the way my mother in law cooks Undhiyu, you can adjust the the spice / vegetables preferences as per your choice.
- Papadi / Flat Green Beans
- Kand / Ratalu / Purple Yam
- Sweet Potatoes
- One Riped Banana
- Green Garlic - Chopped
- Chopped Coriander + Green Chillies + Ginger Paste
- Besan / Gram Flour
- Wheat Flour
- Coriander powder
- Garam Masala
- Chopped Coriander
- Red Chilli Powder
- Cooking Soda
- Seasame Seeds / White Til - to Garnish
- Desicated White Coconut - Optional - to Garnish
- Chopped Coriander
For Preparing Muthias:
- In a mixing Bowl, add Besan/Gram Flour, and wheat flour, then add coriander powder, red chili powder, salt, turmeric, a pinch of soda, chopped methi leaves and garam masala and mix everything well
- Add 2 tbsp of oil and mix well
- At this Step you can take out 2-3 tbsp of this mixture for the additional optional step for stuffing bananas, if you wish to skip stuffing bananas then skip this step.
- Add water and knead the dough like that of paratha consistency, at the end add few drops of oil and knead again to a smooth dough
- Make small circular balls from the dough prepared (you can change the shape of the muthias as per your preference)
- Deep Fry these muthiyas on slow flame so that they are evenly cooked and keep aside.
- In the same frying pan, where muthiyas are fried, deep fry vegetables.
- First deep fry potatoes for about 5-6 minutes or till light brown, on slow flame and keep aside
- Then fry kand (purple yam) and sweet potatoes for about 5 minutes on slow flame and then keep aside
- Collect the oil from frying pan to a bowl, we will use the same oil to cook Undhiyu as it has the flavour of methi and vegetables fried in it.
Putting them all together:
- In a cooking pan, 2 tbsp of oil collected from above step
- As oil heats, add hing
- Now add Papadi and mix well, cover the vessel with some water on the top and cook papadi for about 4-5 minutes on slow flame
- After 5 minutes, remove the cover, and add brinjals, and mix well, again cover the vessel with water on the top and cook for more 4-5 minutes on slow flame
- Now, add the Deep Fried Vegetables - Potatoes, Kand, Sweet Potatoes to the pan and mix well
- Add Salt as per taste, coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric, 1 tsp of sugar (optional), and the green paste (Coriander, Green Chilies & Ginger) and mix well
- Add the fried muthiyas and mix well again
- Now add the oil from the top, this is the same oil which we have collected from the above steps after deep frying muthiyas and vegetables, we add this oil because the flavour of meethi and vegetables fried are nicely infused and hence undhiyu gets a nice flavour, also this is purely optional step you can skip adding oil if you dont like but this is traditionally cooked this way at our place and it greatly enhances the taste of the dish
- After adding oil gently mix well all the ingredients and keep it for about 4-5 minutes on slow flame without lid, and keep stiring in between
- After 5 minutes add, green garlic on top and collect it in serving vessel and ready to serve at this point, there is one more optional step following I will describe below, if you want you can skip the following step and serve at this point as well, please refer to 'Suggested Garnishing' section below
Adding Stuffed Ripe Bananas - Optional Step
- Take 1-2 Ripe bananas and cut it from between along with the skin
- Stuff bananas with the muthiya masala prepared from above step
- In a cooking pan, add 1 tbsp of oil, and add the stuffed bananas, cover with lid along with some water and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the stuffed bananas to Undhiyu
- Add, desiccated coconut, white sesame seeds and chopped coriander to garnish.
Undhiyu is ready to be served, Enjoy with hot puris, rotis or bajri ka rotla or just have as it is!!
Please watch the video for the Detailed Recipe, and Don't forget to Subscribe our youtube channel and download our mobile app from, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.swifto.saasbahurasoi&hl=en
[appbox googleplay com.swifto.saasbahurasoi]
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d6dKXJqDHU”][/vc_column][/vc_row]Add to Favourites