Mathiya | Mathiya Papad | Diwali Special Snack | Savoury
Mathiya or Mathiya Papad is a Crispy Crunchy Diwali Delight from Gujarat, made from Lentils flour (Moth Bean plus Urad Dal), it has a unique flavor of moth beans, it is one of those irresistible and tempting Diwali snack which one can't stop munching!!
- Mathiya Flour - 1 bowl (Moth beans flour + Urad dal flour)
- Water - 1/4 Cup - Adjust to knead the dough
- Salt - As per taste
- Cooking Soda - A pinch
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Ajwain - 1/2 tbsp
- Green Chillies Paste or White Chilli Powder - 1 tsp - can adjust as per taste
- Oil - 2-3 tbsp to Knead the dough
- Oil - For Deep Frying
- Masala To Sprinkle At Top - A Mix of Red Chilli Powder & Sanchar Powder (Black Salt)
- First Step is to Prepare the water to knead the dough - Take 1 & 1/2 cup of water and bring it to boil - while water boils add a pinch of soda and salt as per taste. Switch off the flame once water comes to boil and cool down at room temperature.
- To Knead the dough - In a mixing bowl add Mathiya Flour, Sugar, Ajwain, Green chilli paste / while chilli powder and knead the dough with the water prepared in step 1. Knead the dough with hard consistency like that of Bhakri dough.
- Add a tbsp of oil to coat the kneaded dough.
- Now, on a flat clean surface, put few drops of oil, and put the dough above it, now with the help of pestle (mortar) also known as 'Khandi Dasta' in gujarati, pound the dough, make the dough flat, add few drops of oils and pound the dough again, and flattern it, and repeat the steps for about 5 minutes until dough becomes smooth. (Please watch the video given for this step for better illustration)
- Now take the same dough, and stretch from both the sides, pull it off both the sides like the way we pull elastic (please watch the video for better illustration of this step) Please repeat this step for 3-4 minutes until dough becomes soft and it lightens its color
- Make equal portions of the dough balls and on a rolling pin roll out circles like puris/papad like from the dough balls but should be very thin
- Deep Fry these papads in hot oil in medium low flame, care should be taken that mathiyas fry quickly like papad.
- After frying take them out in a dish.
- Sprinkle the mix of red chilli powder and sanchar powder (black salt) while mathiyas are hot so that the masala coats properly.
- Mathiyas are ready to be served.
- Store it in air tight container after they cool down Immediately if planning to store for long time after frying.
[vc_row][vc_column][vc_video link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcMT3sr4Db0″][/vc_column][/vc_row]Add to Favourites